Woodland Hills, CA - Van Dekker House by Schindler

Commercial and Residential properties for sale, rent or lease

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:24 am

Rats!
Oh and not to hijack this thread too much, but I think the How kitchen update is great. Let the purists live in the 1920s with servants. I want a dishwasher. (although I think they should be integrated, i.e. hidden controls and a full panel) I'm sure you hid a microwave in there as well, but I followed the rules and did not open any cabinet doors.

mtwall
Modern Master

Postby mtwall » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:54 pm

This house is one of the most remarkable residential architectural achievements of the past 100 years and counting! Obviously it was horribly neglected for decades (think "Grey Gardens") but it is equally obviously capable of being restored to its full glory. All it takes is the right person(s) of the right mind with the financial resources and determination to make it happen. I think (and hope) it will :)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:15 pm

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:46 pm

Looking up! Can't wait to see this one on the MAK 2012 architecture tour.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:12 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:26 am

nichols wrote:SOLD! To a very sympathetic buyer.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2009/10/t ... w.php#more

Woohoo!
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

ch

Postby ch » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:55 am

Great news. But it's my understanding that the original drawings for this house are not in the archive and that was part of the reason why A.D. Modlin felt it was urgent to document the house before it was potentially completely lost.

Hopefully the interior was documented by Shulman or other photographers.

In any event, it's great that this house will be brought back to life and that eventually it will be enjoyed by all.

ch

Postby ch » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:17 am

Didn't get a chance to do a drive by on my last visit to LA. Can anyone report on the current status of the restoration?

ch

Postby ch » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:08 pm

Finally got to drive by the house. Sad to report that absolutely nothing appears to be happening. There is no sign of human life, no evidence that work of any kind is occurring. There is a plastic tarp thrown over part of the roof that has pulled away. Anybody have any information? I fear that this house is still headed for the wrecking ball.

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:36 pm

that's sad to hear, I would have thought by now work had commenced.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:35 am

Well, the sale did record in October, so we know that happened. I don't see any evidence that they've even pulled permits for any of the work.

The $580k purchase price is, admittedly, a tear-down price in that neighborhood. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be torn down, or that the lack of immediate action indicates it will be demolished either. (Or perhaps I'm just too hopeful...?)

Realistically, a restoration of that scale and expense will require very meticulous planning since so many different contractors will need to be involved (and finding guys who understand how to work on that sort of structure isn't necessarily easy). Six months wouldn't be an unreasonable period of time for consulting, planning, budgeting, etc., especially if the owner is busy and/or not frequently nearby. The renovations, if done correctly, will likely take a very long time. The Freeman House, for example, is still undergoing extensive repairs from the 1994 earthquake.

I for one can't wait to see this place restored. On the other hand, an extra year or so of decay probably won't add significantly to what the past half-century's neglect has already wreaked.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner
Perkins Realty Group

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:45 am

If I remember correctly, didn't a young architecture student file paperwork for this property to some preservation body and didn't such a move make renovation a lot more time-consuming and difficult?

If that's the case, then 6 months would not be nearly enough time to get plans, find the right people, and obtain the proper approvals form the preservation body.
Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

ch

Postby ch » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 am

I hope you guys are correct. Six months isn't a great deal of time, but I would think the new owner would at least want to tarp the roof and maybe get a cyclone fence around the thing. I know I would if it were my project.

For all you Schindler fans, it's a good time to take a look around (just in case).

Perks

Postby Perks » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:20 pm

I didn't realize it had already gone through (I've clearly not been paying attention), but the Van Dekker House was awarded historic-cultural monument status in February. That will certainly slow down the process of restoring the structure.

Josh Gorrell, who is the owner (or, rather, the primary owner, as it seems to be to some degree an investor partnership), is a designer with experience restoring Schindlers and Neutras. (Linky.) From what I can tell, it seems to be in good hands.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Perkins Realty Group

ch

Postby ch » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:25 am

It's now been over a year since my last visit. Can anyone in the area report on the status of the restoration? I've not seen or heard anything. Thanks.

Jinxxie
Modern Fan

Postby Jinxxie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:24 pm

I stumbled across this thread looking for information about homes in my area. Seeing as it is right around the corner from my house I thought I would drive by and report good news.

Unfortunately no good news to be reported, while a fence has been put up and a tarp placed on the roof, it doesn't seem like any significant work has been done. I can drive by again and take some pics from the other side of fence if anyone is still interested.

I guess it's good news it hasn't been given up on and demoed.

ch

Postby ch » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:33 am

Certainly an odd situation. The house went from one recluse to perhaps another. We drove by a few months ago and saw that little had changed, other than the fence and what appeared to be some half-hearted work. It seemed to us that someone was in the house. As we stood by the fence the sweetest guard dog greeted us.

It's amazing that this house had held on for so long.

Jinxxie
Modern Fan

good news everybody

Postby Jinxxie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:01 pm

I don't even know if anyone logs in here anymore, but I remembered this thread from years ago..

This is the house now:

http://www.ourventurablvd.com/Summer-20 ... e=0#artanc

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:54 pm

Hey, congratulations on being one of the first to post on the the resurrected site. And thanks for the link to these photos.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:38 am

thanks for checking in guys - i appreciate the support.... still working on it...

it may be a little rocky as we update the software... but at least we're back on the road :-)
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Return to “Mid Century Modern Real Estate”