Selig Zoo sculptures
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:56 am
William Selig (1864-1948) was a U.S. motion picture pioneer, born in Chicago, IL. In 1913, he purchased 32 acres of land next to Eastlake Park (now known as Lincoln Park) The property was turned into a zoo for the animals that he used in his films. By 1915, 700 animal species were residing at the Selig Zoo. In 1916, he moved his studio onto the zoo property. Even though his studio folded in 1917, he maintained the zoo at least to the mid 1930's. It closed around 1962 and the statues were salvaged.