New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Thu May 01, 2003 6:29 pm

Gary
Modern Home Design
http://www.modern-home-design.com

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu May 01, 2003 10:36 pm

Well, there are various annual conferences such as the National Trust for Historic Preservation or Society for Commercial Archeology events which bring people together on a national level as well as DOCOMOMO which is reaching across from Europe into several american regions... And there are a few other web sites which address preservation issues on a larger geographic level such as the Recent Past Preservation Network http://www.recentpast.org/, but other than that - i think you're looking at it? so keep spreading the word...

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Fri May 02, 2003 3:12 am

Too little and way too late to save Bruce Goff's works, I'm afraid. At least Frank Lloyd Wright's work in Oklahoma is being preserved. But then, the Taliesin Fellowship has always been active in preserving FLW's works, sort of. I saw a photo of the Jacobs House, which I think is in Illinois or Michigan, and it's looking pretty run down.
Gary

Modern Home Design

Usonian
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ya, hallo, den dere...

Postby Usonian » Fri May 02, 2003 5:55 am

I've been lurking around this BB for the last couple months, but since I recognize the names of some folks from the Dwell boards, I thought I'd show my face.

So, put a pin in the map on Minnesota...another region of the country is heard from on the LottaLiving board!

I grew up in a neighborhood of houses built in the 1950's & '60's...nothing terribly dramatic, all tract houses, but our house had some nice built-ins and details. Plus, my grandfather was in the furniture business, so we had the entire house furnished in Mengel Permanized Furniture. So, I was ingrained early. However, growing up in the '70's and '80's, that furniture was not cool at the time! Luckily, my brother & I hung on to some of my parents furniture.

When I was a teen, I became fascinated with the work of Frank Lloyd Wright, and made quite a study of him, and his apprentices. I continue that fascination and quest for information still. I actually tend to like the work of Wright's apprentices (especially John Howe and Fay Jones) more than the work of Wright himself. I love the materials and lines of all Wrightian work, but I think his dictates in total design control can be oppressive.

So, hello to all. Look forward to joining in the occasional discussion.

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Fri May 02, 2003 6:14 am

Lets see some of that classic furniture - that is a great story.
Greg
gregory la vardera architect
modern stock plans www.lamidesign.com/plans
design blogger www.materialicio.us

Usonian
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Usonian » Fri May 02, 2003 6:25 am

My wife & I currently have a Mengel dresser, and my brother has the dining room table & chairs (pays to be the baby of the family!). Mom & dad divested the rest of the stuff between 1978 and '85...sigh. I'll see if any of our old photo albums have good furniture shots. We also have this great Danish Modern 3-light post lamp in our living room that came from my folks.

It is next to impossible to find out any information about Mengel furniture. It bears a strong resemblance to Heywood-Wakefield stuff, but more "crisp" and less Moderne. I'd love to pick up some more Mengel pieces. The folks used to have a Mengel king bed with these cool sliding door compartments on the headboard, would love to find that!

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Fri May 02, 2003 6:36 am

. . . i can picture it in my mind . . . :)
Greg

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Fri May 02, 2003 6:51 am

Hey, Usonian. I thought that name looked familiar. ;)

Don't leave out Bruce Goff. One of Frank's more imaginative pupils, I think.
Gary

Modern Home Design

troyaloha
Modern Socialite

Goff Houses

Postby troyaloha » Fri May 02, 2003 7:49 am

Gary-

Have you ever visited the Sam and Ruth Ford House in Aurora, IL?

I had contacted the owner via a yahoo group referral a couple of years ago and was invited to tour the house. It's the "three barrel" house- and it's so amazing in person.

I photographed it thoroughly, but the pictures do not do it justice.

Mahalo-

Troy Aloha
"The Future is not what it used to be"

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Fri May 02, 2003 8:26 am

No, I'm not familiar with it. Can you post one of those pics? :)
Gary

Modern Home Design

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Foster Rhodes Jackson a Fellow of Wright's?

Postby JAB » Fri May 02, 2003 9:02 am

Usonian
Modern Socialite

Boi-oi-ing!!!!!!!!

Postby Usonian » Fri May 02, 2003 9:47 am

(...slurp!) Now THAT'S awesome!!, JB!

I love the battered desert masonry piers!

I checked my "official" list of Wright apprentices, compiled by Carnegie-Mellon University, and it appears that Foster Rhodes Jackson was indeed a member of the Taliesin Fellowship, starting in the 1940's.

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Fri May 02, 2003 11:27 am

I thought that someone would enjoy that little piece of eye candy. :wink: Thanks for the verifying information. The way that FLW's name gets thrown around in regards to real estate listings is comical sometimes.

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Fri May 02, 2003 1:07 pm

Shades of Taliesin West, there. :)
Gary

Modern Home Design

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Fri May 02, 2003 6:02 pm

Greg

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri May 02, 2003 6:10 pm

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Fri May 02, 2003 6:33 pm

Greg

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Fri May 02, 2003 7:42 pm

Gary

Modern Home Design

kingslod
Modern Groupie

Howdy

Postby kingslod » Mon May 05, 2003 3:10 pm

Hello all,

My name's David and I just popped-over from a link at Tiki Central.

My wife (Pam) and I collect all kinds of stuff, including tiki mugs, McCoy, Bauer, California pottery, weird ceramic animals, Vintage art (good and bad and in-between), ephemera, and....and...and more.

We live in San Francisco in a flat built in 1950 (almost everything is original) that is bursting at the seams with retro-junk! :roll:

This looks like a great resource for more.

Cheers! :cheers:
Last edited by kingslod on Wed May 07, 2003 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visit the internet's Superchunky Arts and Leisure site: http://www.hugemagazine.com

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Mon May 05, 2003 4:34 pm

Greg

scamboogah
Modern Groupie

Postby scamboogah » Tue May 06, 2003 2:57 pm

Bullsh*t Jesus, those are obviously MY footprints...

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 06, 2003 5:00 pm

ModerNest
Modern Groupie

new to the party

Postby ModerNest » Tue May 06, 2003 8:45 pm

i got here through a series of links and am thrilled to be here! we currently are looking for a MCM house. found an ain on moore street, but sadly it is too much money ($899,000!) but the photos look awesome and it is 4 bedrooms and it appears to be flawless...

anyway, i am starting a business of modern home accessories (pillows, duvets, furniture, etc.). haven't got my website up yet, but hope you will visit me once i do...my husband, thierry, sells 20th century furniture & fine art - we'll be at the modernism show this weekend in santa monica (galerie curial).

cheers!
:cheers:
joyce

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 06, 2003 9:08 pm

Hi ModerNest! Don't forget to stop by the Modern Committee booth at the Santa Monica Civic to say hello to the folks there...

chb
Modern Socialite

Postby chb » Tue May 06, 2003 10:07 pm

unfortunately, the ain house on moore mentioned 2 posts back has been mediterranean-ized :(

www.realtor.com/Prop/1023913454

tiki_kiliki
Modern Groupie

Yee-Haw & Aloha!

Postby tiki_kiliki » Wed May 07, 2003 2:10 pm

Hi everyone! I'm Tiki Kiliki aka Christie White and at the advice of Cherry Capri I thought I would join your message board.

I was just reading through some topics and there's so much I have to share with you guys.

Photographing architecture and Googie are a pastime of Swanky and I. We love to set out on the highway and see what we can find. Always having the camera ready for the next gem. You can see some of our discoveries at www.swankpad.org - this is Swanky's site and I contribute as well. The link to my site is below.

If you enjoy Rockabilly, Classic Country - and I do mean classic - Commercial Spots and Drive-In Intermission from the 50's & 60's then you might enjoy my online radio station - Country Fried Hot Rod - here's direct link: http://www.live365.com/stations/272970
Yee-Haw & Aloha,

Axlereid
Modern Fan

Hello to the mid-century modern community

Postby Axlereid » Tue May 13, 2003 3:47 pm

Great message board...I have been following the site and this is my first posting. My wife and I have just moved into a 1949 modern home in Kenter Canyon (of Crestwood Hills and the MHA) but don't know who the architect is and thought the message board might be able to help. My wife grew up in a Cliff May/Peter Choat house in Sullivan Canyon and mid-century design has been a passion for both of us. We look forward to your members as a wonderful resource.

troyaloha
Modern Socialite

Aloha, Tiki Kiliki!

Postby troyaloha » Tue May 13, 2003 4:19 pm

Tiki Kiliki, you are one swinging wahine. I loved your website, and I'm totally MAD about "Star Bright Living". I can't wait to order bamboo drapes for every room of my beach shack...

Welcome to Lotta Living!

Mahalo,

Troy Aloha ***
"The Future is not what it used to be"

PolynesianPop
Modern Groupie

Postby PolynesianPop » Tue May 20, 2003 1:48 pm

Aloha ModCommers! Polynesian Pop here from Tiki Central. Thought I'd pop over and take a look-see. Looking forward to getting to know everyone here.

Poly-Pop *

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 20, 2003 4:28 pm

Hi Tiki Kiliki and Poly Pop!!! Welcome aboard...
my nickname is megamail here (but i will always be yours truly Futura Girl from Tiki Central)
Looking forward to reading your posts.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”