New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

vinjeff
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby vinjeff » Thu May 22, 2003 6:15 pm

Hi! My partner and I live in a 1960 Palmer+Krisel in San Diego. Just found out about the site (especially the galleries-- there are a few homes in our neighborhood in the "San Diego" album. Thanks Modfan!)

I'm sure I'll be visiting many times in the future! :-O:

p.s.: love the bubble lamp emoticon!

cdieguez
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

mom....dad....I'm HOME!

Postby cdieguez » Thu May 29, 2003 12:48 pm

Don't eat anything you pick up off the sidewalk...

Godzilla
Modern Groupie

Hello

Postby Godzilla » Fri May 30, 2003 9:18 pm

Go ahead, lose your keys....

Axiom
Modern Groupie

Postby Axiom » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:38 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:16 am

SkipHome
Modern Master

Postby SkipHome » Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:15 pm

Axiom
Modern Groupie

Postby Axiom » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:54 am

Skip: I think you meant "Redundancy".
Unless you aren't too fond of freedom, individuality, private property and small governments.
Modern architecture emerged from the truly libertarian optimism of a few minds.

swillypuddy
Modern Socialite

Postby swillypuddy » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:02 am

Hi all! So happy to have found my new "home". My name is Tonya. I'm a 32 yr old artist living in AZ. Currently I'm in the process of turning my living room into my retro dream (all for $500!!!). I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done. Anyway, please feel free to contact me if you have any comments or questions for me at any time. Thanks!

*** :cheers: ***

SkipHome
Modern Master

Postby SkipHome » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:12 am

welcome swillypuddy tonya! good luck with the 'changing rooms' scenario and be sure to let us see what you've done!

Tikivixen
Modern Groupie

Hello!

Postby Tikivixen » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:01 am

Aloha everybody~

I wandered over here from Tiki Central, and I can immediately tell I'm going to have to carve more spare time out of my schedule for another intriguing message board!

I'm a fulltime online seller of secondhand clothing, mostly vintage, and sundry collectibles--that is, whatever I can bear to let go of. I live in part of a huge Victorian house in Vallejo CA, which I co-own with my best friend and her mother. I share my place with four, yes, four cats. Not quite sure how I got so many...

I've been obsessed my entire life with old things--their beauty, their style, their soul. It's not just that I find styles of the past generally more pleasing; I also simply enjoy the patina--physical and psychic, if you will-- of age.

When I was younger, I preferred the nineteenth and early twentieth century, but as I've aged I've grown terribly fond of WWII era and mid-century modern style--everything from architecture to clothes, art, cars, you name it. Unfortunately for my budget--and sometimes, for any sort of coherence in my personal style-- my tastes are wide-ranging; but somehow it's usually all compatible in the end. Usually.

What it comes down to in architecture, or any part of all this really, is that I always go for force of personality and individuality--and if I can get quirky humor into the bargain, so much the better.

So yes, I'm a collector, but a choosy and particular one. And lately, I "collect" old buildings, (especially motels) and signs that I love by photographing them. Someday, when I have time (!) there's going to be a website.

It's good to be here!

Lisa aka Tikivixen

*harriet*
Modern Groupie

Postby *harriet* » Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:53 am

Good morning! Somehow I ended up on here from roadsidepeek.com, and as soon as I saw the info about the San Fernando Valley, I knew I could relate just a tiny bit.

My former husband moved out to the Fairfax area of L.A. from Duluth, Minnesota in the early 60s, and then his family moved to the Valley & pretty much stayed there (although through attrition not as plentiful there as earlier, except for maybe his sister). I moved out there from Philadelphia to be with him in 1980 and stayed until 1984, when we moved back to this area. So much of that Valley has stayed with me, and I have lots of wonderful memories even if I only lived there for a few years.

The only thing that p*ssed me off when I lived out there is that I was referred to as being from "somewhere back East". Hmph.

I have always been a packrat (not good, but I'm so sentimental!), and off the top of my head I have two "brochures", I guess you could say, that maybe someone would like to buy(?). I have an informative little booklet from The Original Pantry in L.A., and an Elmer Dill's Rib Guide. God knows, someone might be interested. I also used to collect matchbook covers, and I have covers from places I've eaten at such as the Velvet Turtle, Barney's Beanery and others I'm too lazy to get up on a stepstool and pull the scrapbook out to find. I don't even know if these places exist anymore. If anyone wants to see a pic, please email me (if my email addy is listed on this board anyplace).

Anyway, this is such a nice site. Thank you for having it. And please come to visit us in beautiful South (never ever to be confused with North!) Jersey, where the diner is a way of life!

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:08 pm

Hi,

There's a packrat gene in my family. When my great aunt died, her house was so cluttered, they couldn't even get into one of the rooms, and it took two years of non-stop work to clear out the house. However, she kept Rose Parade programs going back to the early '30s and train tickets from Disneyland's opening year.

As for me, I still have toys I played with in nursery school, and I have all my school notes/assignments from 7th grade through college.

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:20 pm

Hey Harriet - we are in the same neighborhood. I'm in Merchantville (camden county). I started a gallery album for modern houses in the Phila and SNJ region in the residential, single family house album.
Greg
gregory la vardera architect
modern stock plans www.lamidesign.com/plans
design blogger www.materialicio.us

Modball70
Modern Groupie

Hello all

Postby Modball70 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:38 am

I'm new to the site, have been a Tiki Centeral member for a while. Love modern design! My favorite items so far are Majestic lamps and tiki/lounge culture items. I own an awesome Majestic Z floor lamp. Look forward to chatting on the forum.
Searching for yesterday's future

frenchpoodle
Modern Groupie

Hello from frenchpoodle

Postby frenchpoodle » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:33 pm

My name is Mary Janzen and my husband Peter and I live in Fresno, Ca along with our poodle/bishon Jacques. Even though we do not live in LA we usually come at least once a month to cool events and to go to Disneyland. We look at this website all the time and decided it was time to join. We also are tiki central people under Larry Lava. Looking forward to many good conversations to come!

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:29 pm

Welcome. I'm a Poodle lover as well. We have a chocolate brown toy/miniature named Diva.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:45 am

Hi. How are things at Disneyland? I haven't been since the Autopia reopened and procrastinated going to DCA so long that I missed Superstar Limo, which I understand is closed forever. :( :( :( :(

I hope to find someone who video taped it.

I'm curious to see the new Pooh ride, though, so far I've only heard negative reviews of it. (It looks good in the TV ads.)

frenchpoodle
Modern Groupie

Disneyland Today

Postby frenchpoodle » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:52 am

Disneyland is looking good with the exception of Tomorrowland. Sadly it is not in good shape at all. It feels very empty. I do have high hopes of the submarines returning though.

We went on Superstar Limo and it was the worst ride ever. I thought perhaps it could be so bad it was good but it just did not happen. They had lots of trickets they were selling for the ride and I regret not getting one just to remember how bad it was.

Pooh was good but not as good as the one in Florida. I do miss the bears however. Here is a cool note about the Pooh Ride not many people know: after you go through the technicolor room with the gigantic swirly hunny pot look behind you in the very next room. Three of the animal heads that hung in Country Bear Jamboree are still mounted on that wall. You have to know where to look for it but it is cool when you find it.

Glad to see there are other poodle lovers on the board as well.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Disneyland Today

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:07 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:07 pm

Impudent Brat
Modern Groupie

Postby Impudent Brat » Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:24 pm

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Hello

Postby davidk6 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:00 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:43 am

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

pamphlets

Postby davidk6 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:06 am

troyaloha
Modern Socialite

Pamphlet?

Postby troyaloha » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:58 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:51 pm

CECE
Modern Groupie

Hello

Postby CECE » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:37 pm

I'm just joining but have been enjoying all the Eichler websites for a while. Finally got on board and joined. Great website with great info.

davidk6

Re: Pamphlet?

Postby davidk6 » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:13 pm

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:15 pm

Hey, I joined the LA Conservancy this summer. Does that mean I'm still regarded as a "groupie"? I met several ModCom's at the Charles Phoenix show at Dawson's Books last year and found them to be generally harmless and fun-loving . The prospect of a beloved old burger stand about to meet it's end apparently changes all this.

So there I was born in Los Angeles (twin, thus the TwinJim gimmick) and raised in a stucco suburban SoCal scene. Built train layouts with my brothers and became more interested in the buildings and scenery than the train. The whole darned altered landscape now just seems like a big "layout" for me to play and work in.

I live in an old house in an old neighborhood with my wife, and go out photographing the "layout" when I can, like my Dad did with fishing. The twin brother migrated up to Portland, OR. He does much the same thing as his SoCal twin.

I'll readily admit to a nostalgia for the LA of my past . Enjoy much the posts on the main discussion . To think we were all raised on Sugar Frosted Flakes!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:35 am

welcome to all our newbie members...

twinjim - what scale model trains? I grew up playing with my dad's 30 foot long HO set!

new members are automatically tagged 'groupies' by the board's software until they post enough posts to graduate to full fledged status! so here's hoping we hear a lot more from you...

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”