URGENT! Help SAVE The Parasol Restaurant in Seal Beach CA!!!

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Born2Late
Modern Groupie

URGENT! Help SAVE The Parasol Restaurant in Seal Beach CA!!!

Postby Born2Late » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:12 pm

Hello everyone this is my first post and I am here to beg for your help! They are threatening to demolish a piece of history in Seal Beach by tearing down the famous pink "Parasol" restaurant!!!

In the article posted in the SUN local newspaper, the reporter says "The Parasol restaurant, which is shaped like the top of a pink umbrella, is one of the buildings targeted for deconstruction by Century National Properties, which s owns the shopping center and buildings located on it."

"Supporters are said to be looking into some sort or historical designation for the building." This is where we all come in I would think?

John English of the Los Angeles Conservancy it says believes that it may be possible to get historical recognition from California if the city of Seal Beach is unable to do so.

There is a Seal Beach Enviromental Quality Control Bard meeting at the Seal beach Cty Hall on April 28h at 6:30 pm

Where do I go from here?

Thank you,

Amy
Born2Late

Adriene
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Adriene » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:28 pm

Hi Amy--thanks for posting! The Parasol is outside of the Los Angeles Conservancy's coverage area but a number of us are working on it 'cause we must help save The Parasol! We've had a thread going called 'Revisiting Parasol' but here's updated info:

YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED TO SAVE THE PARASOL!

SIGN THE ONLINE PETITION AND SEE PHOTOS AT:
www.recentpast.org/types/restaurant

(or VISIT THE PARASOL IN PERSON AND ASK TO SIGN A PETITION)

IMPORTANT DEADLINES AND HEARING DATES:

APRIL 28TH: ATTEND THE ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY CONTROL BOARD MEETING ON APRIL 28TH AT 6:30PM AT SEAL BEACH CITY HALL

MAY 19TH: ATTEND THE SEAL BEACH PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING ON MAY 19TH AT 7:00PM AT SEAL BEACH CITY HALL

DEADLINE: THE PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD ENDS MAY 10TH,
SO PLEASE SEND YOUR LETTERS TODAY!
------------------------------------------------
MAIL TO:

ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY CONTROL BOARD AND
SEAL BEACH PLANNING COMMISSION
211 EIGHTH STREET
SEAL BEACH, CA 90740

WRITE SEAL BEACH CITY COUNCILMEMBERS:
JOHN LARSON, BILL DOANE, CHARLES ANTOS, PAUL YOST AND
MAYOR PATTY CAMPBELL -- ALL AT:
211 EIGHTH STREET
SEAL BEACH, CA 90740
http://www.ci.seal-beach.ca.us/citycouncil/meet.html

Adriene Biondo
Commercial Architecture Chair
Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee

Born2Late
Modern Groupie

Thanks for all of the info to help save the Parasol

Postby Born2Late » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:55 pm

Adriene!

That is perfect, I just actually spoke with Chris Nichols today and he gave me your info to help out, just hadnt had a chance to call. I will definately try to make those two meetings and for sure sign the petition!

Thank you

Amy

Adriene
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Adriene » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:43 pm

Great, glad you spoke to Chris. Sure, give me a call anytime. And don't worry...we're gonna save The Parasol!

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:08 pm

Thanks to Kurt Benbenek of Houseplant Picture Studio for putting together a Save The Parasol website!

http://www.houseplantpicturestudio.com/ ... rasol.html

It's a work-in-progress, so if you'd like to share stories or photos, please contact him at the e-mail address listed in the website.

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:33 am

IMPORTANT: WE NEED TO WRITE THE PROPERTY OWNER!

Mr. Brian Gibbons
Vice President
Century National Properties
12501 Seal Beach Blvd, Suite 270
Seal Beach, CA 90740

Mayor Patty Campbell term ends May 18th, so we should contact her successor, Ray Ybaben as well.
http://www.ci.seal-beach.ca.us/citycouncil/meet.html

Thanks, everyone.

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Wed May 05, 2004 2:03 pm

A reminder that the public comment period ends MAY 10TH! Please get your letters in and help Save The Parasol!

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed May 05, 2004 2:54 pm

I just mailed my five hand-written letters to save the Parasol. I hope the city council, property owner and Planning Commision are listening because it sounds like there's an overwhelming cry to save the Parasol!

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Fri May 07, 2004 1:49 pm

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Orange County Register Article

Postby JAB » Thu May 13, 2004 2:38 pm

Disclaimer: Registration is required to view the article.

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/a ... tion=LOCAL

MsJVonFink
Modern Socialite

missed deadline

Postby MsJVonFink » Fri May 14, 2004 8:48 pm

My friend Stephanie and I attended (and spoke at) the last city council meeting about the Parasol, and are planning on going to the next one on Wednesday. I feel terrible though because I completely spaced-out and missed the deadline (may 10th) for mailing a letter out! Looking at the Friends of the Parasol website, it has received a lot more positive press than I realized, so I am quite happy about that!

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Mon May 17, 2004 4:27 pm

Thank you for speaking at the last hearing!! Even better than sending a letter!! If you still want to send a letter, e-mail it before the hearing on the 19th.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed May 19, 2004 10:26 am

Long Beach Press Telegram
May 19, 2004

Public outcry may save diner

Supporters persuade commission to determine if The Parasol is historic site.

By Felix Sanchez
Staff writer

SEAL BEACH - Residents who have been fighting to save The Parasol restaurant from the wrecking ball scored a victory Tuesday when it was announced that a study will be done to determine whether the unique eatery is a "historic structure.'

Parasol devotees from Leisure World, Los Alamitos and all around this beach community have rallied to keep the Jetsons-esque space-age building pink, cream and trimmed in green from being razed as part of redevelopment of the Rossmoor Shopping Center.

The issue was scheduled for debate before the Seal Beach Planning Commission tonight, with Parasol supporters expected to flood City Hall with protests, but the item was removed because of the planned review.

"The project is in limbo,' said Lee Whittenburg, director of development services with the city of Seal Beach.

The city will use a consultant to conduct a historic property survey of The Parasol and will make "recommendations on whether or not the structure is of significance or not,' Whittenburg said.

The decision was made because of the intense public comment made to save The Parasol, located at 12241 Seal Beach Blvd., Whittenburg said. The restaurant reportedly would be demolished to make way for new shops, restaurants, banks and parking.

Saving The Parasol had become a cause celebre among longtime residents who spoke longingly about the experiences shared eating at the restaurant, one of the few remaining in Southern California built "Googie' style.

Googie architecture thrived in the 1950s and 1960s and was marked by its use of bold angles, colorful signs, plate glass, cantilevered roofs and pop culture imagery, according to the devotee Web site, spaceagecity.com. Most often the architecture was used for coffee shops, diners and bowling alleys.

Brian Gibbons, vice president with Century National Properties, owner of the Rossmoor Shopping Center, could not be reached for comment.

John English, a board member with the Los Angeles Conservancy who has been helping Seal Beach residents try to save The Parasol, was surprised by the city's decision, but happy.

"It's clearly an icon. It's unique. It has a dynamic interior. It's a big umbrella,' English said.

English said the planned study is what the community has been asking for all along. More than 4,500 people have signed petitions to save The Parasol, which opened in 1967, because of its architectural design and cultural value.

"All the community is asking for is due process. They should have recognized this is an important building, an important resource in the community and at least consider saying this is something we need to look at,' English said.

Residents also are not holding Century National up as the bad guys, English said.

"They have made it clear they want to work with the owner. They have nothing against the redevelopment of the center,' he said.

MsJVonFink
Modern Socialite

yay!

Postby MsJVonFink » Thu May 20, 2004 12:35 am

Sharpnoiz
Modern Groupie

Parasol

Postby Sharpnoiz » Thu May 20, 2004 8:25 am

~Stephanie

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Parasol in the LA Times

Postby lasvegaslynn » Sun May 23, 2004 7:17 pm

Wanted to let you know that there is an article about trying to save the Parasol in today's (Sunday) LA Times California section of the paper.

Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

veronica
Modern Fan

On Board!

Postby veronica » Mon May 24, 2004 3:04 pm

I saw the news item on the possible destruction of the Parasol the other day and I was so upset... it invaded my dreams! I woke up thinkng that it had been rescued only to realize that it is still in danger...and I will do anything to save this restaurant...count me & my family in on the June meeting! I am watching a bulldozer raze a beautiful 1940's home across the street at this moment (to make way for an apartment building) and I am still saddened by Leon's destruction here in NoHo. Every day we lose a piece of our history here in So Cal. and if you can imagine, we lose a time machine of sorts. It makes me very sad.
Not too long ago you could transport yourself back into Los Angeles' 1950's-60's "Googie" age and feel that you were dining someplace historic and special. Now everything is a cookie cutter printout of every town in America. Ships is gone, Tick Tock, Ben Franks, Johnnies, Leon's, Bob's Big Boy in Huntington Beach; not the Parasol!!
I will be checking back for updates! Thanks ModCom for your tireless efforts!

MsJVonFink
Modern Socialite

Parasol on Ch. 7 news

Postby MsJVonFink » Mon May 24, 2004 4:27 pm

I missed it, but today around 11:45, channel 7 had a story on The Parasol. Apparently it was really quick (15 seconds long according to my grandmother) and they interviewed the owner. I'm hoping they will run it again. Seeing how repetitive the the tv news is, there's a good chance.

Born2Late
Modern Groupie

KOCE was there filming Monday the 24th of 2004

Postby Born2Late » Wed May 26, 2004 4:50 pm

I visited the Parasol for lunch on Monday and KOCE was there interviewing the patrons. I also spoke with the Owner who said that there was an investigation going to happen to try and save the restaurant!

From what I heard, it seems as though enviromental issues and its historical history may help us save it!

Keep writing the local papers and the city council and planning commission

Amy

annie
Modern Fan

Postby annie » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:09 am

MsJVonFink
Modern Socialite

Parasol in OC Register 9/8

Postby MsJVonFink » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:35 pm

There is an article on the front page of today's Business section of The Register about how The Parasol is testing out a space-age looking globe device for So.Cal Edison that monitors electricity usage by changing colors. There is also a brief mention of its being threatened with demolition.

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:50 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:58 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:16 pm

[Extraneous side note, gleaned from the site referenced above: RFK asassin Sirhan Sirhan has sued to prevent demolition of the Ambassador Hotel, claiming the walls contain evidence proving the existence of a second gunman. (Dec 6, 2004) Oy veh.]

SDR :roll:

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:06 pm

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:08 am

Last minute news! Roy is closing The Parasol TONITE - Sunday, March 12th - let's try to make it down there to say farewell before renovations begin.

Remember to keep checking in for updates at The Friends of the Parasol website:

http://www.houseplantpicturestudio.com/ ... rasol.html

Shifty
Modern Fan

Postby Shifty » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:51 pm

I'll be there.. I wish I knew of this place earlier..

2Tone
Modern Socialite

Postby 2Tone » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:54 pm

I'm heading down right now.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:54 pm

And then what!?

What will happen to the Parasol restaurant and its beautiful interior?

Shifty
Modern Fan

Postby Shifty » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:09 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”