URGENT! Help SAVE The Parasol Restaurant in Seal Beach CA!!!

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby nichols » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 pm

LONG BEACH PRESS TELEGRAM

Polishing up the past

Mel's Drive-in in Seal Beach is a shiny, modern version of a '50s coffee shop
Al Rudis, Staff writer
Posted: 02/06/2008 03:34:07 PM PST

http://www.presstelegram.com/lifestyle/ ... ci_8187231

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby nichols » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:38 pm

LONG BEACH PRESS TELEGRAM

Mel's Drive In closing Rossmoor location

By Joe Segura, Staff Writer
Posted: 10/20/2009 10:42:09 AM PDT

SEAL BEACH - Mel's Drive-In at the Shops at Rossmoor pulled the plug Tuesday on its struggling restaurant business - becoming another victim of this year's Great Recession...

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_13600432

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Hope there will be

Postby modfan » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:19 am

a new Tenant. I went by there just a few weeks ago and saw no sign of this.

Altho I noticed that the center seems to me is just a little tooo upscale and specialized (which it seems EVERY OTHER shopping center developer is doing), perhaps if they made it more like an everyday type center with a grocery store, barber, hair salon, cleaners, and a good COFFEE SHOP etc. it might get some business, but then again that probably isn't that profitable but perhaps the recession might get em thinkin.....

houseplant
Modern Groupie

A little perplexed and a little vexed

Postby houseplant » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:41 pm

Who would've thought the Parasol (AKA Mel's Diner) would be in jeopardy again. So many of us watched originally as it was threatened several years ago.

The renovation that was done to the building was magnificent (I think) - I tried to check in on the renovation work every couple of weeks as it was being done...I was really impressed with the intense wooden shell work done inside and around the kitchen area.

I haven't been by Mel's to see what's going on,
so will have to get over there this week.

The three or four times we've been in Mel's Diner for breakfast and dinner have been disheartening to say the least. Food is slightly expensive and not too edible and service near atrocious. Of course the interior and exterior are beautiful (though I've never liked the Mel's sign, illuminated outside)

Naturally, it would be a major sin for the building to be removed or crushed by a heartless earth mover. It seems as if it would be easier now for a new tenant to move in and to allow the Parasol/Mel's to be rescued.

With a little direction I'm ready to fight for it again...viva Parasol!

The Friends of the Parasol
it's not whether you win or lose,
it's how much team merchandise you sell

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Tue May 04, 2010 12:37 am

modfan

Well

Postby modfan » Wed May 05, 2010 10:31 am

judging from the posts, I guess Mel's food/service was not too good.

I have dined at other Panera's and at least their food is pretty decent.

If I'm in the area and I'm hungry, I'll remember to seek this place out.

houseplant
Modern Groupie

Parasol - > Mel's -> Panera

Postby houseplant » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:10 am

I'm very happy that Panera is moving into the old-but-renovated Parasol building. That whole shopping center seems finally to be taking off and though there are some typical fast food places moving in, the old Parasol building still looks beautiful.
it's not whether you win or lose,

it's how much team merchandise you sell

modfan

And and

Postby modfan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:27 pm

If it's a wi fi hotspot it could get the biz from people using that.
I often see people in other Panera's using it.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”