Where's a good place to sell '30s to '40s antiques?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
deanna b
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Where's a good place to sell '30s to '40s antiques?

Postby deanna b » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:26 pm

I'm in need of some emergency cash, and I've got an art deco mantle clock, old Zenith and Heathkit radios, a fancy student accordion and an old silver-plated saxophone, all dating from the 1930s and 1940s except the probably 1950s Heathkit, all of which work. Any suggestions on where to sell any of them where I might get a fair price?

And come to think of it, somewhere in storage I've got a big 1960 or so Zenith B/W TV with the remote control that goes "clink," and no idea what to eventually do with that either. And a shiny red scooter, tricycle, youth bicycle and this neat thing I've never seen before or since where you steer with your feet and pump with your arms, all from around 1970.

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:40 am

I would suggest the usual haunts - ebay and Craigslist. You could also load them up and drive them to a few local antique malls and see if any of the dealers/owners there would be interested (folks do this all the time).

Re the saxophone, my husband plays sax so by default sort of collects them. Can you tell me a little more about it? Is it an alto, tenor or C-melody? Does it have "high pitch" or "low pitch" stamped on it anywhere? Maybe a photo of the bell showing the engraving?
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:30 am

I would echo Ebay, especially since you are in LA. I am guessing many dealers are cash poor now, so try to skip the middleman.
The TV sounds pretty promising, though...you might find a TV forum you could list it on.

And FWIW, the child's vehicle is referred to as an "Irish Mail"...I grew up with them in the 60's, and they were hard to come by. I remember my folks having to get friends to bring one in from out of the country.
I'm not sure I appreciated that at the time, but it was really fun ride! Mine was red and white with some royal blue trim. Dang-that thing was cool.

Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”