Actress Dorothy Provine dies at 75

Burlesque beauties, pinup girls, vintage fashion, swanky suits, go-go boots, hairdoos,
cocktails, recipes, dancing, nostalgia and random retro lifestyle that a Space Age Atomic Age Bachelor might need to know about. Post War movies, television, broadway shows, music... exotica, lounge, cocktail, vocals, standards, space-age, swing, tiki, Modern Transportation, 1950s 1960s classic cars, monorails, scooters, trailers and trains, oh my...

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java, Matt Deckard

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Actress Dorothy Provine dies at 75

Postby nichols » Wed May 05, 2010 7:33 am

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Actress Dorothy Provine, best known for 'Roaring 20s,' 'Mad, Mad World', dies at 75

By Associated Press
April 30, 2010 | 10:43 a.m.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Actress Dorothy Provine, best known for her roles as Milton Berle's wife and Ethel Merman's daughter in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" and the high-kicking flapper in the 1960s TV series "The Roaring 20s," has died. She was 75...

Last edited by nichols on Wed May 05, 2010 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed May 05, 2010 7:37 am

Anybody ever watch this Roaring '20s???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjBoBtViwmI

Skylark
Modern Socialite

Postby Skylark » Thu May 06, 2010 5:11 am

Though I heard about it, that's the most I've ever seen of "The Raoring 20's." Thanks for the link.

The other big movie from which I'll always remember her is "The Great Race."

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri May 07, 2010 6:51 am

From skylark's western youtube link, I'd guess that this is the inspiration for Lily von Schtupp in Blazing Saddles.

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Fri May 14, 2010 10:07 am

Skylark
Modern Socialite

Postby Skylark » Fri May 14, 2010 12:31 pm

It would be a safe bet that Lily Von Schtupp was based primarily on Marlene Dietrich's performance in "Destry Rides Again."

Check out this clip and try NOT to think of Madeline Kahn: :wink:

Of course, that's not to take anything away from Dorothy Provine! :D

hannah
Modern Socialite

Postby hannah » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Did I miss this news? Hard to believe...

I loved Dorothy Provine as a 10-12 yr old child! I would spend weekends at my Grandmother's place in Torrance, CA and we'd play her records. One I always requested was Dorothy Provine and The Roaring Twenties. Can anyone guess that I'd love the song "Hard Hearted Hannah"? I remember SO many of the songs off that album! I've looked for it on eBay and CDUniverse.com, to no avail.

RIP, Dorothy. I have some great memories because of you.
It may not look like it, but at the molecular level I'm actually quite busy.

Return to “Everything Else and the Kitchen Sink”