Hardwood Floor Refinishing

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

TracyGuza
Modern Groupie

Hardwood Floor Refinishing

Postby TracyGuza » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:38 am

We are getting our oak floors refinished and are having trouble deciding between a Swedish finish (toxic and odorous) and a newer water based product.

Has anyone has great success with a new product or type of refinishing process?

Thank you.
Tracy

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:55 pm

I used it on my last house. It will come out much lighter than a more traditional finnish. I should also take more coats. However, those coats will dry faster. Another advantage is that, in about 5 years, (or sooner if you where unable to get as many coats on as desirable the first time) It's really easy to refinish. You just scruff it up with a floor polisher and add another coat. Any damage can be fixed and blend in. A traditional poly would have to be sanded to recoat. My only advice is to allow the final coat to dry longer than the minimum. No matter how anxious you are to mover everything back. Or move in. An extra 24 hours will harden the surface and make it less likely to be damaged when you do move stuff in.

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:24 pm

This stuff is tuff as nails. So tough that if you don't but down a sealer coat before finishing it can split a floor board in half...
http://www.bona.com/en/US/Country_Start_page/
Nice thing its environmently friendly.. Water based but has a longer cure time...

plunk21
Modern Groupie

Re: Hardwood Floor Refinishing

Postby plunk21 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi,

I want to have a hardwood floor refinishing at my home. Which wood should I use for floor refinishing??

Thanks

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”